|keeping cool in Pza. S. Egidio
When its this hot we get up early (6 a.m.) like the local farmers do then by 10:30 a.m. its time to stay indoors, behind the wooden shutters (persiane) which along with the ancient, thick walls keep the heat out.
|no need for air conditioning
A plus during these hot days is that there are finally lots of parking spaces, for the town is almost deserted. Most people head for a one of the nearby lakes (Lake Vico, Bolsena or Bracciano) or perhaps the grassy lawns at this ancient Roman swimming hole.
This circular pool is actually a frigidarium dating from Roman times at Le Pozze di San Sisto half way between Viterbo and Vetralla. Its icy waters are balanced by an adjacent hot pool caldarium and another luke warm one.
For tourists and visitors here are some more of the coolest places around:
- If you are a cruiser docking at Civitavecchia you could trade a hot, exhausting day in Rome for a visit to Tarquinia where the Etruscan tombs and quiet churches such as S. Maria in Castello provide welcome respite. For a glance of this magnificent church see Dietmeyer's website.
|fountain in front of Tarquinia's city hall
|fountain of the Moors, Villa Lante, Bagnaia
|River god fountain, Villa Lante, Bagnaia
(photo by John Ferro Sims)
- Garden lovers will love the historic gardens of Villa Lante where the trickle of fountains and mossy pools give welcome relief from the heat.
|grotto , Villa Lante
|water gurgles down the rope fountain, Villa Lante
|Papacqua waterfall, Soriano nel Cimino
Here are a few of the romantic, cool spots I have enjoyed discovering in these past years while lecturing aboard cruise ships.
- in Montenegro the fiord (Bocche di Cattaro) leading up to the port of Kotor.
- The gardens of Peterhof, outside the city of St. Petersburg , Russia are another perfect place to catch some coolness.
Grand Cascade and canal to the gulf of Finland, Peterhof, St. Petersburg, Russia
Peterhof fountain, St. Petersburg , Russia
the Pyramid fountain, Peterhof gardens, St. Petersburg, Russia
- Oia on the Greek island of Santorini is famed for its whitewashed houses and blue domed churches
The same turquoise color can be found here in Vetralla in a romantic pool inside a grotto.
|a private pool half in, half out of a grotto
Read more about our local wash house on my article on Italian Notebook